Coolsculpting™ by ZELTIQ (Fat Freezing)
Commonly referred to as ‘Fat Freezing’, this process is called Cryolipolysis. As fat cells are more susceptible to extreme cold they can be selectively and permanently destroyed.
Each selected area takes approximately one hour and as this procedure is non-invasive, patients can return to normal activities immediately, the perfect treatment for a lunch-break and definitely an option for patients who don’t want to go the liposuction route.
Beware of imitation devices!
Other cryolipo systems are not FDA approved! They are able to treat two areas at a time but, faster does not mean more effective! The other machines require 2-3 treatments to achieve the same result as one single CoolSculpting™ treatment, resulting in a far more expensive treatment.
NB – The safety of the other machines on the market is also operator dependent. The CoolSculpting™ machine operates on a specific temperature and has special built in safety mechanism which Automatically shuts down automatically when the area being treated gets too cold.
The Science of CoolSculpting
Why is the CoolSculpting™ by Zeltiq better than other cryolipo devices?
- FDA approved
- CE Marked as a Class 2a Medical devise
- Backed by Harvard University in the USA
- Has more than 20 published clinical papers and abstracts
- Has treated more than 300 000 patients
- Is the only controlled cooling treatment with built-in safety measures
What areas can it treat?
- Pockets of fat
- Tummy bulges / love handles
- Inner thighs
- Bra bulges
- Above the knees
- Man boobs
Am I a candidate for CoolSculpting™?
- Are you within 3 to 10 kgs of your ideal body weight?
- Do you have noticeable bulges or bumps that you would like reduced?
- Do you want subtle, natural-looking results?
- Do you want a procedure with little pain or discomfort?
- Do you need a procedure with no downtime?
- Do you prefer a natural process over drugs, chemicals, or surgery?
How does the process work?
The sub-zero temperatures cause the fat cells to die. The cells are then absorbed and the flushed away by the body over the next few months leaving the patient sleeker.
What kind of fat reduction can I expect to see in the treated area?
The average fat layer reduction is 20% but many patients have experienced up to a 40% reduction in the treated area. A single treatment is usually enough for each love handle but a larger beer belly or flaps under the arms might require two treatments.
When can I see results?
Changes may be noticed as quickly as three weeks after treatment but the most dramatic results are seen after three months after the procedure.
Is CoolSculpting™ safe?
Yes but, BEWARE of cheap imitation Chinese versions.
With Patented built-in safety measures, the CoolSculpting™ by Zeltiq is the ONLY cold based, non surgical, body contouring treatment that is FDA Cleared and has the most medical approvals worldwide. This procedure offers a safe, pain-free and effective way to reduce the fat layer of selected areas by 20 to 40% without the need of an anaesthetic or pain-medication.
What can I expect during the CoolSculpting™ procedure?
The applicator cup uses a strong vacuum pressure to draw tissue between the cooling panels. An intense pulling sensation will be experienced in the area being treated and then cooling as the fat cells begin to freeze. You will either sit or lie down during your procedure, depending on the area being treated. The procedure time, per area treated is one hour, during which time you can read, listen to music or simply relax.
What can I expect immediately after the procedure?
Some clients experience a sharp but brief pain sensation immediately after the applicator is removed from the treated area. This dissipates within minutes. Light-headedness and dizziness may be experienced as your body naturally warms and sensation returns to the treatment area. It is normal for the area to be swollen and feel stiff immediately after the procedure. The vacuum can cause bruising and tenderness to the touch. This typically resolves within a few days/weeks.
What is the recovery time?
There is no recovery time and you may resume normal activities following procedure. The treated area will be red for approximately 20 minutes after the applicator is removed.
What can I expect days and weeks after the procedure?
- Bruising and redness
- minor swelling
- tenderness / sensitivity
- tingling or pins and needles
Are there any side effects?
- Post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation may occur in the treated area, particularly in darker skinned individuals. This typically resolves over time and can be treated with anti-pigmentation treatments.
- Temporary dulling of sensation or numbness in the treated area is normal and can last up to 8 weeks.
- Gastro-intestinal symptoms, including nausea, bloating, diarrhoea, or gas have been reported in a small number of patients following the procedure.
- Indentation in the treated area
- Rare reports of petechiae (pin point bleeding) have been reported but these are transient.
- The treated area may feel hard for up to 8 weeks post procedure.
Recommendations post CoolSculpting™ procedure
Recommendations post CoolSculpting™ procedure:
The post procedure conditions are temporary and typically resolve within a few weeks. Post procedure discomfort can be well managed with regular pain medication if required.
To achieve optimum results, we strongly recommend the following:
- Drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day which will assist with the ‘flushing’ out of the crystallized lipids in the fat cells
- Lymphatic massage accelerates the process of removing fat cells (Laserderm offers 2 x Synergie Massage treatments with every CoolSculpting™ procedure)
- Regular body brushing at home
- Exercise a minimum of 1 hour a week and take care not to reward the session by over indulging
Who is not suitable for a CoolSculpting™ treatment?
You may not have a CoolSculpting™ procedure if you have any of the following conditions:
- Reynaud’s disease
- Implanted medical device
- Recent surgery in the treatment area
- Umbilical or inguinal hernia
- Cold sensitivities
- Patients with Hepatitis C (Cryoglobulins)
How much does a treatment cost?
Treatments cost from R3000.
Disclaimer : Results and patient experience may vary from person to person.
*In the U.S., the CoolSculpting procedure is FDA-cleared for the treatment of visible fat bulges in the submental area, thigh, abdomen and flank, along with bra fat, back fat, upper arms, and underneath the buttocks (also known as banana roll). In Taiwan, the CoolSculpting procedure is cleared for the breakdown of fat in the flank (love handle), abdomen, and thigh. Outside the U.S. and Taiwan, the CoolSculpting procedure for non-invasive fat reduction is available worldwide. ZELTIQ, CoolSculpting, the CoolSculpting logo, the Snowflake design are registered trademarks of ZELTIQ Aesthetics, Inc. © 2017. CoolSculpting is the treatment doctors use most for non-invasive fat removal.